Bug 152 - DEL key does not work
Version: v1.89 test17
OS/Version: Windows XP
Assigned To: email@example.com
Reported By: firstname.lastname@example.org
Component: Email Functionality
Summary: DEL key does not work
Opened: 2007-07-09 17:20
For Version 1.89 Test17 (Not in the list)
The DEL key does not delete emails. Must right click and choose delete or click
delete on the toolbar.
I'm having trouble reproducing this. Which control has the focus when you try
and press delete?
The control with the focus has a stronger selection colour than the ones
without. Maybe try and move around with the arrow keys to confirm what control
has the focus. Options are likely to be the tree view of folders, the list view
of mail or the preview panel.
It seems to be the list-view of mail that has focus. When I press the arrow
keys, it it moves up and down in the list of emails. When I press the Delete
key, it does nothing. Usually it pops up a window asking whether I want to
delete the email or not.
Is it possible that it is a corrupt configuration file?
Do you know much about XML?
There should be an element in the ScribeOptions.xml file called "ScribeUI". If
it's not there then maybe this bug will appear. Maybe thats why I don't see it.
I will investigate.
Hmm, here is the ScribeUI section:
Seems that it's my .lr8 file that causes the problem. Haven't gotten any
than that. It's attached to the bug now though, maybe you can figure out what's
Sorry I didn't let you know this before, but Test18 didn't fix things, but it
did seem to clobber all my email accounts. Oh, it just clobbered them because
it's i.Scribe, not InScribe, I understand.
I saw you were looking for info from the Scribe.txt file. Here's mine:
SetWindowPos changed the focus!!!!!! Old=003D043C New=003204A4 Vis=1 _View=003204A4
ScribeWnd::OnCommand(40043, 0, 00000000)
ScribeWnd::OnCommand(1684368485, 0, 0044040A)
First I clicked on the mail list view, pressed up and down to ensure focus was
Then, 40043 is from pressing the delete key. (Which doesn't work)
Then, 1684368485 is from clicking the delete toolbar button. (Which does work)
1684368485 is the id for the delete cmd. Or 0x64656C65, which is 'dele' or
something in characters. How/why the delete menu sends something other than that
only _some_ of the time is beyond me. It seems really variable at the moment,
like it's dependent on some uninitialized value somewhere.
If you search in Scribe.lr8 for "IDM_DELETE" there should be a cid attribute
nearby. That could be causing the 40043 cmd to be sent from the menu. In fact
40043 is the OLD cmd id for the IDM_DELETE menu... is your Scribe.lr8 somehow
not up to date? How could that be, did you try a clean install?
Do you have 2 Scribe.lr8 files?
i.e. one in the same folder as Scribe.exe and another in the Resources subfolder?
The one in the resources subfolder is the correct one, you should delete the
Yes, I was just about to submit an explanation like that and got a collision
when I went to submit it. You beat me to it.
I have an old .lr8 file (Jan 24, 2007) in the same directory as the exe file and
it is overriding the settings from the one in the Resources directory. I'll
delete the old one and all should be fine. Maybe there should be some sort of
upgrade message saying that the one in the same directory as the exe is going to
be renamed or deleted (Maybe just renamed in case someone has been using it for
a custom translation or something like that)
I added some code to the installer to move and rename the old resource files on
install. This should fix this properly for everyone who installs test18.