Thread

Index > Scribe > email is sent twice
Author/Date email is sent twice
Scott
18/11/2016 2:24pm
I think this is strongly correlated to the other problems that I've been having. Sending email should take the contents of the outbox, send it out and then move it to the sent folder. My sent folder is in a different mail store. Transferring between mail stores is very flakey. Often it doesn't get moved and then it gets resent.

My configuration is as follows:
- 2 POP3 mail accounts (good@bell.net, fluff@bell.net)
- 3 mail stores (good, fluff, master)
The "Start in folder:" points to /master/Inbox and the Account Destination folders are: /good/inbox and /fluff/inbox respectively.

This seems to use the master mail store for the Sent and filter folders. The Outbox for the good account seems to be /good/Outbox. I hope this helps.
fret
18/11/2016 2:40pm
Why do they have to be separate folder? I just use different sub-folders in the same mail folder. This is why you're seeing so many issues, I use the software in a different way and hence don't see the same errors. I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong, it's just not supported well. It _should_ work but doesn't currently.

Moving between folders will always be a 2nd best way of doing it. In the case where the source and destination folder are in the same mail store it's just updating a field (changing the ID of the parent folder). No data has to be copied or deleted. But in the case where there are different mail stores all the parts of the email have to be recreated in the new mail store. It's much more expensive an operation than in the first case. This is the same for all email clients not just Scribe.

Is there a reason to keep things in separate folders or is it just how you've always done it?
Scott
18/11/2016 10:40pm
I subscribe to a forum which receives over a thousand emails per year. I like to archive this every year so the folder doesn't become too unwieldy. The easiest way to do that is to divert the email into a separate mail store right from the start. It makes archival and retrieval much easier. I just need to pop open the archive that I'm interested in and then shut it down when I'm done.

This system worked so well for many years. Earlier this year, I decided to apply this approach to other emails, but it took me a while to realize what was going wrong.

Moving between mail stores may be an expensive operation, but I don't see the difference between doing it on reception of the mail or before archiving the mail. It still needs to get done. What is the best way to archive a single folder in a mail store? Replicate Mail Stores is non-selective. Should I copy the physical mail store and then delete the mail that I don't want? That is what I was doing years ago.

If I have two separate accounts pointing at different mail stores, shouldn't sent mail go to the Sent box of the folder associated with the mail store of the destination folder rather than the mail store of the starting mail store?
fret
21/11/2016 9:47am
What is the best way to archive a single folder in a mail store? Replicate Mail Stores is non-selective.
I think you need to keep using the Move filter action but with a new build that works properly. Over the weekend I fixed the code to do copies across mail3 stores correctly. I'll make a release tonight.

If I have two separate accounts pointing at different mail stores, shouldn't sent mail go to the Sent box of the folder associated with the mail store of the destination folder rather than the mail store of the starting mail store?
Currently a lot of code that uses system folder assumes one mail3 store. What I plan to do this week is start the process of re-writing that to know about multiple mail stores. You aren't the only one being confused by that. I hope to have something for the multi-mail store users by next weekend.
Scott
23/11/2016 12:47am
Excellent. Thank you!
fret
24/11/2016 9:47am
Please try v2.1.27 and let me know if it's fixed these issues.
Scott
24/11/2016 12:53pm
That seems to have mostly done the trick; Labels aren't coming across the move between stores.
fret
24/11/2016 1:49pm
Labels: Is that Mail3 -> Mail3? Or is an IMAP folder at one end?
Scott
24/11/2016 11:00pm
It is mail3 (v1) -> mail3 (v1). I also tried this with v1 -> v2 and v2 -> v2 and none of them work.

All but one of my folders is mail3, the other is database.sqlite. Is it an IMAP folder?
fret
25/11/2016 7:51am
I just fixed to label copy stuff. I found a bunch of other issues relating to that as well.

Now these cases work for both the Colour and Label:
mail3 -> mail3
mail3 -> imap
imap -> mail3