Thread

Index > Scribe > support for aim mail
Author/Date support for aim mail
pepas
17/07/2005 9:17am
Hi Fret

how to make iScribe to work with aim mail?. It offers 2 GB with IMAP support. please provide the settings.

fret
18/07/2005 1:28am
What details have you got already for connecting via IMAP?

I don't automatically know how to connect to every ISP/webmail in the world. You'll need to give me something to work from, even if it's just a link to the ISP page where it tells you the details for connecting.
pepas
18/07/2005 4:44am
sorry fret

see this link.

http://r02.webmail.aol.com/Help/detail_misc_emailprograms.aspx

I have tried some settings in iScribe. but I could not make it work.

atleast I need the "send" option to work with iSribe.
fret
18/07/2005 5:18am
In the send tab put:

Server[:port] = 'smtp.aim.com:587'
(Optional) Domain = (blank)
[x] ESMTP Auth
User name: (your username)
Password: (your password)
Authentication Type: 'All'

The rest don't matter. Try that and see if you can send, then if it fails go into the status panel in the main window, click the account, click the log tab, right click on the listing and copy to clipboard. Then paste that log into a mail to me or this forum and we'll get to the bottom of the problem.
pepas
18/07/2005 5:32am
thanks fret

now I will do that and back to post here how it works.
pepas
18/07/2005 5:47am
well fret

I could send now. thank you.

then, this is log for receiving mails.

A0001 CAPABILITY
* OK imap-m17 v42_b1.6 server ready
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ XAOL-ENVELOPE XAOL-NETMAIL XAOL-OPTION XAOL-FBR.OLD IDLE AUTH=XAOL-UAS-MB XAOL-FILTER QUOTA NAMESPACE
A0001 OK CAPABILITY completed
Warning: Unsupport auth type 'XAOL-UAS-MB'

and please tell whats difference between IMAP (fetch) and IMAP (full) [I used IMAP (fetch)]
fret
18/07/2005 5:54am
XAOL-UAS-MB is an undocumented protocol that I can't add support for.

IMAP has 2 flavours in scribe. fetch makes IMAP behave like POP in that it just retreives messages and doesn't display folders in the main window. full IMAP does display folders in the main window, and it less stable than the fetch version. Fetch has been in the software for years now, full is only a recent thing.
fret
18/07/2005 5:58am
I suspect that AOL does accept normal forms of authentication as well. Maybe if I ignore the list of supported auth types returned by AOL and just try some random known auth types it might just work.

Something worth experimenting with in the next release.
pepas
18/07/2005 6:04am
thank you again for the explanation.

you have any idea to add support in the next tests?. becoz, this aim mail service seems to be better (can have user folders) with IMAP support which even gmail does not provides.

pepas
18/07/2005 6:05am
just now saw your 5:58am msg.
fret
18/07/2005 6:45am
I've put in an option to force the authentication method for the next release.
pepas
18/07/2005 7:00am
thats very fast fret. I saw the version history.

I'm interested to test it. will it be possible to have a link now?. or I should wait for next release?.
fret
18/07/2005 7:02am
I don't have time to do a release now... it'll be out soon enough. You can sign up for release notifications in the "account" section of this website.
pepas
18/07/2005 7:08am
thank you fret. thats fantastic to had some discussion with the developer. I'will wait for the next release and update here.