Thread

Index > Scribe > i.Scribe cannot send or receive emails
Author/Date i.Scribe cannot send or receive emails
Baruch Youssin
25/05/2021 10:56pm
i.Scribe Build 16 Release
Ubuntu 20.04

I am testing i.Scribe before upgrading to InScribe.

i.Scribe cannot send or receive emails. For sending, it reports that it cannot open connection to the server.

I set the ports for SSL/TLS as recommended by my provider, 465 for SMTP and 993 for receive, IMAP (fetch).

Here are the screenshots of my settings:

As they do not seem to show, here are the links to them:
Send
Receive

Note that the password fields are empty; I fill them, press OK on this form and on the Options form; when I reopen the form, they are empty as shown on the screenshots.

My provider suggests security SSL/TLS; I tried setting Authentication Type to All, Plain and Login for sending, and none works.

Here are
the directions of my provider.

In the beginning, i.Scribe asked for SSL library to be installed, and I allowed (clicked to install). i.Scribe did not complain about it any more.
(Generally, I have all required SSL libraried installed on my computer; Ubuntu 20.04 requires an admin password for system library install, and i.Scribe did not ask for any system password.)

Please help.
fret
27/05/2021 11:07am
i.Scribe cannot send or receive emails. For sending, it reports that it cannot open connection to the server.
I suspect you'll need to check the account status log by opening to status panel and clicking the account. Usually there is some useful info in there to help debug the connection issue.

If you can't get it working still after that, send me the logs and I'll take a look.

Note that the password fields are empty; I fill them, press OK on this form and on the Options form; when I reopen the form, they are empty as shown on the screenshots.
They aren't 'empty' but say (password saved)... however due to the system colours in Linux that text is so low contrast that you can't read it. I have fixed that in the dev build so the next release won't have that issue.

and i.Scribe did not ask for any system password
That's because it would install them to the same folder as the main binary which is read/write (and portable). It knows how to load them from there.
Baruch Youssin
01/06/2021 10:01pm
Thanks for your response.

The status of Send:
Connecting to a2ss26.a2hosting.com:465...
Failed to connect socket to a2ss26.a2hosting.com:465

The status of Receive:
SocketError(115): Operation now in progress.
Information: [INET] Socket Connect: a2ss26.a2hosting.com [75.98.175.123], port: 993
A0001 CAPABILITY
Read CAPABILITY response failed
CAPABILITY says not an IMAP4Server

The ConnectionLog file is quite boring, it has one line repeated many times:
A0001 CAPABILITY
Baruch Youssin
01/06/2021 10:20pm
I have just noticed that i.Scribe again popped up the following message:

openssl is required connect to a server.

OpenSSLSocket.cpp:315 - SSL library missing (libssl)

I pressed "Install".

A message popped up. It started with the following:

"Error: No downloads available ..."

I did not have time to copy it until it disappeared.

I checked scribe.txt and found the following recent entries there:

CapabilityInstaller: Getting download site...
CapabilityInstaller: Error: No downloads available (http://memecode.com/components/lookup.php?os=Linux&wordsize=64&app=Scribe&version=2.3.16&component=openssl)