Thread

Index > Scribe > Can't connect to my mail server, 235 -> SendStart failed.
Author/Date Can't connect to my mail server, 235 -> SendStart failed.
Marcinek
15/09/2021 8:36pm
Hi! i.scribe disconnects from my server even though I don't see any errors in the log. Logs from SMTP connection:

220  ESMTP
EHLO default
250-
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 104857600
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
STARTTLS
220 ready for tls
Session is now using SSL
/CN=
EHLO default
250-
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 104857600
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
AUTH PLAIN AHRlcXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXg==
235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)
SendStart failed.
SSL connection closed.

What's causing it? Thank you very much for help.
fret
16/09/2021 8:07am
From my reading of that code, it seems that there is nothing sent after the initial authentication dialog. There are 2 cases that could cause that, no recipients or a malformed recipient, ie no email address for the recipient. Normally I'd expect that to be caught before you get to try and send an email.

But I'd check carefully the email in the outbox, that it has a legitimate looking email address in the recipients box.

Secondly I'd also look in the console for related messages. Often the code will log something there in an unusual error case. Rather than clutter the UI with an actual error dialog.

If that doesn't resolve the issue I might have to add some more logging around the send start code and get you to try a debug build.
fret
16/09/2021 8:13am
Actually the error reporting could be better. I've changed the "send start failed" error message to include the reason for the failure.

Also just to clarify the conditions for failure, the address is checks for validity is the sending address... the "from" email. So also make sure you have your File -> Options -> Accounts -> [account] -> Identity -> Name+Email set correctly. If you have an invalid email in there it'll cause this sort of error.