Scribe / Exchange 2010
15/2/2011
So I spend my life writing this email client to get away from Outlook:
And then they change to Exchange 2010 which Scribe for whatever reason can't authenticate on so I start using Outlook 2010 and for a while I put up with it. Then I after a few weeks I get sick of it and try and get Scribe working and with Exchange and fail. Then a few weeks go by and then I try again, different problems. Then more weeks go by, FML. Then I finally have it out and spend too long frigging with NTLM. I read the M$ docs and they are completely WRONG. So I download various open source libraries, they are too old and broken and also WRONG. So I start reading 10 different descriptions of the protocol on the web, which all conflict, but I start getting the gist of it. Then I download the Thunderbird source code and start reading that. Because it does NTLM authentication. And finally after using that as a guide, all these months later, I authenticate with Exchange's IMAP server. And then notice lots of things are broken, so fix fix fix, and now it's running OK. Then I see the calendar folder and click on it, and up shows a list like this:
So Exchange goes to all the trouble of exporting an IMAP folder called "Calendar" that when you click on has a list of email that contains little notes to the effect that "Oh hai, there was a calendar entry here, but I moved it, and btw you need to use Outlook to view it".

*twitch*

*twitch*

Apparently back in Exchange 2002 or something there use to be email containing vCal attachments in the Calendar folder. But some pointy haired boss at Microsoft put an end to that interoperability quick smart.

Tags: outlook email imap | (0) Comments | Add Comment