|Author/Date||Sent attachments appear as crazy text in message body|
Today I had to send a message with three XLS (Excel) files attached. The recipient replied saying that no attachment was sent.
I had BCCd the message to myself, just in case, and when I received it I found, to my surprise, that the files were NOT ATTACHED, but, instead, they were in THE MESSAGE BODY, like this:
AAUBQQByAGkAYQBsADEAGgDIAAMA/3+8AgAAAAAAAAUBQQByAGkAYQBsAD... (and on, and on).
I tried again, sending only one file, and the same problem happened.
Then I tried using the AutoZIP plug-in. But when sending the message, AutoZIP returns "ZIP process failed".
|I can cut to the chase, this is usually misconfigured server/proxy or buggy anti-virus software either on your machine or an upstream mail server. Scribe certainly sends attachments correctly for the vast majority of users.
If you want to confirm whether this is Scribe or something else, you can configure a bytes only log file in the debug options. Then send a file and unset the log file in the options. Once that log file is created your going to have to send it to me somehow... obviously not in an email... best bet is to attach it to a bugzilla entry, see the site menu on the side? Click the BugDB link and create an account, then log in and create a bug entry against Scribe, and then attach your log to that. I'll automatically get an email about it and we can track it's progress online.
|Sorry for the late reply: I didn't receive the e-mail notification for some reason.
OK, I'll look in to that. But strange enough, it started to work OK after a day or two. I wouldn't suspect about the anti-virus program, because it's set-up to scan only incoming mail, not outgoing (I am using AVG free, and disabled the SMTP option). Also, I have Sygate firewall, which has cause some programs to work strangely before, but I don't see how it could be spoiling the attachments.
|I had a similar issue when *receiving* an attachment.
In the event, it was an unnamed pdf-file, and it didn't appear in the attachment list, showed however some garble in the body of the mail:
2 0 obj
<< /Length 3 0 R
I was finally able to download the attachment from the web-surface of my mailserver directly, and I do assume that it was because either there was no title or nor extension to the file, or both.