Thread

Index > Scribe > text of email is being trashed
Author/Date text of email is being trashed
Scott
04/05/2012 7:35am
I'm running InScribe 2.0 beta 39 and after installing the libiconv library, InScribe is now deleting all of the text from most of my recently downloaded email. The size field is unchanged and the attachments remain, but the text is completely gone. It only seems to be destroying recent mail.

Some email filtered to a different folder was downloaded but not trashed. After I restarted Scribe, this email that wasn't trashed was now trashed. I find this very disturbing. Any thoughts?
Scott
04/05/2012 7:42am
If I drag the email to a File Explorer to create an .eml file, this file just contains the internet header info and none of the text of the email body.
fret
04/05/2012 9:32am
If you close Scribe, delete/rename the iconv library, and reopen Scribe is the text still missing?
fret
04/05/2012 2:43pm
Also which OS version are you running on? Because I think there are issues with Windows Vista/7 installs having trouble writing the iconv DLL to the application directory without permissions to do so. I'll have to write a separate .exe that does that with elevated permissions. So that could be a related issue.

So far I haven't been able to reproduce the bug, but it sounds nasty enough for me to make it my top priority.
Scott
05/05/2012 8:41am
Glad to hear it's the top priority.

I'm running on Windows 7 .

I completely uninstalled Scribe and reinstalled 2.0 beta 38. It doesn't seem to be trashing anything so far. Although, it only seemed to trash the messages that were received after I installed libiconv, maybe? It's around the right time frame, but I didn't take note of when things happened.

What was really odd, was that one of the messages that got routed to a different folder didn't get trashed right away. I was able to read it and reply to it. The next day however, it was trashed. I've got three mail stores loaded and only one of them was getting trashed. The other two were receiving messages fine.

Fortunately, I increased the time before messages are deleted on server so I only lost a few days of email. I've now disabled deleting messages from the server and taken backups.
Scott
05/05/2012 12:12pm
I'm not sure if it's related, but I noticed that I'm unable to connect to my mail server with InScribe since I reinstalled it. I'm getting "Failed to open socket to pop.cogeco.ca:110 and read reply."

I'm able to run my old version of i.Scribe and it has no trouble sending and receiving email. It has the same configuration as InScribe. The emails that I downloaded with i.Scribe are not being trashed by InScribe.
Scott
08/05/2012 6:02am
I have found the text of the trashed email in the Trash folder (of all places).

I suspect this might have resulted from a filter moving mail across mail stores??
It looks like it was putting the complete email in the Trash and the text-less email in the destination folder.
fret
08/05/2012 7:39am
Oh that could well be it. What type of folder did the mail move to and from? Eg the filter moved the email from an imap to a mail3 folder.

I have had a bunch of issues with that in the recent past but I'm actively fixing them.

My guess is you still have a mail2 folder? Which is not being actively tested.
fret
08/05/2012 4:01pm
Ok so I've reproduced the issue. I believe it's limited to copying email from a mail2 folder to a mail3 folder.

So I'll fix that and release a new build shortly.
Scott
10/05/2012 8:05am
The problem that I was having with sending and receiving is also gone; it just disappeared without any configuration changes.
Everything seems to be working now as expected.
Scott
10/05/2012 8:17am
I have 3 mail stores loaded, 2 mail3 (including the main store) and 1 mail2. The filter was copying from mail3 to mail3. The mail2 store seemed to be unaffected by this problem.

I should probably upgrade the mail2 to mail3?
Scott
10/05/2012 9:16am
You're right; it's the mail2 store.

The text was being trashed again. I shuffled the filters so that all the filters moving email to the mail2 store were done after moving to the mail3 store and enabled the 'stop processing' flag. I re-downloaded the email from the server and this time the mail was not trashed!

It looks like having filters that move mail temporarily to a mail2 store before moving it to a mail3 store trashes the email text.
fret
10/05/2012 9:34am
What is happening in that the mail2 store reconstructs the MIME hierarchy when it loads the mail from disk. However when you copy in a new mail from elsewhere that doesn't happen. So when that a new email without proper MIME tree gets copied back out of the mail2 store to say a mail3 store it loses the body part of the email.

The mail3 and IMAP back ends both have full MIME implementations and don't suffer from the same issue.

I've corrected some of the cases by refactoring the code, but it's highlighted bugs elsewhere in the system. So I'm working my way through those and hope to get a release out by the weekend.
Scott
11/05/2012 8:54am
Even after disabling the mail2 store and removing the filters that push mail into the mail2 store, it's still trashing the text.

Here are the steps:
- download some email that gets filtered to a second mail3 store
- verify the email gets filtered correctly and has text
- exit InScribe
- start InScribe and the text is gone.

It's only the fresh email that's getting trashed when InScribe is restarted.

If I disable the filter that moves it to the second mail3 store, then the text does not get trashed.
fret
11/05/2012 9:04am
Interesting, because that would mean there are actually 2 bugs here. One in the mail2 store and one in the mail3.
Scott
12/05/2012 8:18am
I think the second problem might be due to a corrupt filter. Here's what I did to avoid the trashing:
- reverted to Build 38
- recreated two of the filters from scratch
- downloaded some email for each of the filters
- restart InScribe
- the text is still there!

If you've fixed the filter argument problem and the issues with mail2 stores, perhaps that's enough.
Scott
12/05/2012 8:48am
I spoke too soon. The problem still exists but only occurs when incoming mail is filtered to a different mail3 store directly. If I disable the filter on incoming mail and then filter the mail manually, the text is still there after a reset.

As a workaround for this outstanding bug, it would be easy enough to disable the filters on incoming mail and then filter them manually. It would be nice to have a new build with your fixes so far, especially the fix for the incoming mail setting.
fret
23/05/2012 10:18am
Try beta40 please.
Scott
25/05/2012 12:13am
This works much better -- thanks!!