Thread

Index > i.Hex > Editing 500GByte disc partition.
Author/Date Editing 500GByte disc partition.
Ged
17/04/2013 3:47am
I'm using ihex 0.95 (October 2007 version) on Linux (Debian Squeeze, running on dual Opteron with 6GByte RAM).

I'm attempting to edit a disc partition. Don't ask.

I've just asked ihex to find a 64 character string of hex digits (32 bytes). Or, rather, I asked it about two and a half hours ago.

I happen to know the precise location of the string, it's just under 50GBytes in from the start of the file. For those who are wondering, discs are just files on Linux and yes you can do that sort of thing. If you're careful.

I was just wondering how much longer I should wait before I decide that it's never going to get there and try something else? Other packages don't take anything like this long but so far I don't seem to have found anything which can actually write over the data once I've found it.

A means of 'jumping' to a location instead of searching sequentially through the file would be very handy.
fret
17/04/2013 9:44am
I'm using ihex 0.95 (October 2007 version) on Linux (Debian Squeeze, running on dual Opteron with 6GByte RAM).
Ah that is an OLD version. Probably highly buggy.

I've just asked ihex to find a 64 character string of hex digits (32 bytes). Or, rather, I asked it about two and a half hours ago.
It should work but I'd say it's a bug in the software.

I was just wondering how much longer I should wait before I decide that it's never going to get there and try something else?
Stop the software, it's not going to find it.

A means of 'jumping' to a location instead of searching sequentially through the file would be very handy.
The cursor offset is in the toolbar under the menu. You can just type in a new value and hit enter to jump somewhere.

I expect that a more modern build of the software is needed. I'll give that a shot this week.
Ged
18/04/2013 10:04pm
Thanks for the reply. I did find something else which could do the job but TBH I'd prefer to use your package as it doesn't need X. :)

If you do manage to put something together that would be great.

As I said it's Debian Squeeze, AMD64 of course on Opteron.
Ged
18/04/2013 10:17pm
I didn't mean that about X, I meant all the bloomin' widgets. :)
fret
18/04/2013 11:46pm
I know what you meant. I have got some Linux back to building and running kinda in the last 2 days. I can launch an Lgi app but it's buggy since I moved to Gtk for the Linux back end. It was too hard targeting the raw Xlib API.