Thread

Index > Scribe > Import from Thunderbird email?
Author/Date Import from Thunderbird email?
Mike
11/03/2004 8:51pm
Does anyone know a way of importing to Scribe from Thunderbird?

Thanks
Jeff
12/03/2004 9:03pm
I've been able to import email from the latest release of Thunderbird, but only one mailbox at a time and attachments don't import. Let me know if that's what you're looking for and I'll post the steps I took to get the email into InScribe.

Jeff
Mike
13/03/2004 12:08pm
Sure, that info would be useful. Have you tried importing addresses as well?

Thanks
BoisBleu
16/03/2004 2:44am
What about a detour with OE or Outlook? Did you already try it?

BoisBleu
Jeff
16/03/2004 3:11pm
Create a folder named "Temp" just inside of the "Inbox" to hold your imported email messages.

Next, here's the sequence I used to import email messages from Thunderbird one mailbox at a time, minus the attachments.

Tools > Import > Text > Unix MBOX > Select the "Test" folder created above and click on "OK" > Browse to the folder holding your Thunderbird email (see blow) >

My Computer > C: > Document and Settings > (User name) > Application Data > Thunderbird > Profiles > (Profile) > .slt folder > Mail > Account folder > .sbd folder

At this point, be sure to change browse files displayed to "All Files" and note that each mailbox has two files associated with it. One is named after it without an extension and then there's one with an extension. Select the one without an extension and then click on ""Open" and look for a "Progress" window to open and indicate "Reading MBOX Spool..." to open. Depending on the number of messages being imported, this process could take a couple seconds or couple of minutes. Once done, check the "Temp" directory to verify your email was imported. If successful, then move it to the proper folder and then run:

File > Compact Folders > Click "Yes" > Click "OK"

You should have recovered a significant amount of "white space" from the database folder that stores all your email. Run "Compact Folders" at least once a week to keep "white space" small and your email properly indexed inside of the folder.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any other tips for importing email.

Jeff
Jeff
16/03/2004 3:16pm
I had to export addresses from Thunderbird. Let me recreate the steps for that effort and then post them here.

Jeff
Mike
20/03/2004 9:03pm
Cool - that worked. Thanks.