Thread

Index > Scribe > Test25 error using X.Org
Author/Date Test25 error using X.Org
Steve
27/10/2004 1:06am
I attempted to run iScribe on my system, which runs Gentoo Linux, but I get the following error:

Error: This application requires XWindows.

I can only imagine this is because I'm using X.Org instead of xfree86. If this is the case, and the problem isn't because of something more prosaic, I personally feel support for X.Org should be added to the Linux binaries, as that is the seeming future of Linux on the desktop. I would love to give this client a test, as it seems like something I wouldn't mind using from what I've read and seen in the screenshots.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
fReT
27/10/2004 1:31am
That error is generated when the call XOpenDisplay(0) returns NULL. So it would seem that the X.org Xlib implementation is not behaving the same as the xfree one... which is not good for compatibility.

I only have xfree setup at the moment and it might be a while before I have time to setup X.org's server. But I will keep it on my todo list.
Steve
27/10/2004 1:39am
Thanks, I'll keep your site bookmarked in the meantime. Have a nice one.
Steve
04/11/2004 2:44am
It works now, the problem was on my end. I'm so used to running Screen in my terminals it didn't even cross my mind that I was trying to launch an application from my Screen session, which you can't do. You can scratch this "bug" off your list.

Sorry for any trouble.
fret
04/11/2004 2:49am
Cool. I installed Fedora 3 over the weekend and tested it under X.org's server and it ran fine. So I'd already kinda moved it to the back of the que.

But it's good you'd figured it out. Thanks for letting me know.

Getting it to build on X.org's headers is a completely different issue though :(