Thread

Index > Scribe > Starting with windows minimized
Author/Date Starting with windows minimized
Michael
08/10/2006 4:09pm
Hello...
Im having a problem getting inscribe(1.88) on my w98se machine to start with windows the way i would like.At the moment ive placed a shortcut to inscribe in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.Ive set its properties to run minimised .This works fine initialy and inscribe starts with windows minimised.However when i click the system tray incribe icon or right click it and click open ,it doesnt open the way i would like.It just opens minimised to the taskbar.I then have to rightclick the taskbar tab and click maximise to get it to open.How can i get inscribe to start with windows ,minimised to tray, and then when i click the tray icon ,for it to open "normally"
thanks in advance
michael
Mikey
08/10/2006 6:06pm
I don't know if you'll be satisfied with this, but if you can just remember to minimize before closing it or shutting down, then Scribe will open next time in the way you left it. Then you don't need to use Windows startup as minimized.
Michael
08/10/2006 7:11pm
Thanks for reply...
I always shutdown windows with it minimised to the tray anyway (i have that option enabled in options.general).However it still does what i mentioned.It does the same if i exit it from the tray.When i start it again it shows in system tray ,however to open it i have to cick or right click "open" it.That then makes a taskbar tab and i have to click maximise to get the main programe to show.Its getting really annoying.
tia
michael
Michael
08/10/2006 7:18pm
I can seem to keep the mail box order either.Ive moved inbox to the top ,etc by dragging it but when i reopen inscribe its in a different position.Am i missing something here?
thanks in advance.
Mikey
08/10/2006 7:37pm
I've got Win98SE too. What I described works for me (but not using Windows startup as minimized setting). The only thing I've noticed that might be related to what you are seeing is that sometimes the saved window position gets screwed up so that the Scribe window is not even on the screen anywhere (don't know if it's a Scribe bug or Win98, but I recall it occuring in the past, just not sure which apps). When this happens, there is an easy "fix": minimize all other apps except Scribe, then just select "Tile Windows Horizontally" from right click on taskbar (Tile Vertically works just as well; so does Cascade, except then you have to adjust the size). Since this fix won't prevent the problem from reoccuring, I recommend not using maximize, but rather adjust the size of the window in normal mode to fill your desktop above the taskbar (that's what Tile does) or however you like it. This way, when minimized, a single click on the tray icon should restore the window to this saved "Normal" state.

As far as your Inbox position, never seen that happen. Mine is at top where I want it, and always has been. I guess I could try moving it around and see what happens. I do know that dragging the columns around in the message list doesn't work very well on my system, but a workaround is just to uncheck all columns, and recheck them in the order I want them to appear.
Michael
08/10/2006 7:38pm
Ive got around the task bar problem by setting the properties to run "maximised" on my desktop shortcut to inscribe.It seems that it is not possible to start inscribe minimised with windows and then with one click open the programe "normally" though.I can live with that at present.Any ideas how to solve the second problem of keeping the mailbox folders in the order that i set them though?.
tia
michael
Michael
08/10/2006 8:27pm
Thank you for reply...
The problem seems to be what you described.When i reboot windows and click inscribe (ive now set it to open in normal window),it is indeed being hidden by the task bar.I have to drag the taskbar to bottom of the screen ,and inscribe is hiding behind it.I then stretch it to the position and size that i want it and all works fine....i.e minimising to tray/reopening etc until i reboot windows ,whereby i have to go through it again.
Regarding the folder positions how do you uncheck columns?..i can see any options for this.
tia
michael
Michael
08/10/2006 8:41pm
After a little experimenting i can get it to work just fine if i untick "always on top" for taskbar options. So thats fine.Im just left with the folder order now.I cant seem to find anything about unticking colums and then reticking.Its possible that the order i put them in was being altered due to the problem with it hiding behind the taskbar in a very small compressed window state.Now that has been solved maybe it will stay the way i put it.
tia
michael
fret
09/10/2006 11:01am
Inbox moving to wrong position after restarting

This is a known issue in the folder repositioning code. It's too low priority to fix right now.

Sometimes the saved window position gets screwed up

Sometimes windows gives Scribe screwed up coordinates. Later version deal with this better but it still does happen. I'm about to revisit all that code to add specific multi-monitor support. I recently started using 2 LCD's and it's obvious some things don't work nicely with that setup. So these comments are useful input for when I rewrite the window positioning code.

how do you uncheck columns?

Right click on the column headings?

Michael
09/10/2006 3:59pm
Thanks for reply...
Mmm , i dont know if this is a known bug too ,but today i had some html emails from tesco.com and gone gardening.com.Whenever i clicked on those emails or even open the folder they were in, my system resources (im using w98se) went from system and gdi =74 ,down to system and gdi=13.User didnt seem affected at all.That was opening 2 html emails or the folder that they were contained in.Opening a third rendered the resources to zero ,and i had to hard boot.Is there a problem with inscribe and the inbuilt html browser on w98se?.Im not sure i can run inscribe at all with this problem
tia
michael
fret
09/10/2006 9:01pm
If you close the mail do the system resources return to their original level?

You could bounce one of these emails to me and so I can have a look at it? Maybe it's doing that because of the type of content.
fret
09/10/2006 9:03pm
Win98 has a limited number of handles for graphical resources. I wrote some special code in i.Look in the thumb nail image viewer to combine lots of thumbnails into big bitmaps so that it used less handles. On '98 it means that you can view huge folders of photos without the system crashing. Maybe something like that is needed in the HTML control when there is lots of graphics on a page?

10/10/2006 4:10pm
Hello...
Yes if i closed the emails ,resources returned to thier original value.The main culprit seemed to be the tesco.com html mail ,which does have lots of graphics ,though i would mention that i have viewed these mails in other mail clients with no problems so i think it is inscribe specific problem.Unfortunatly i dont have the email as ive deleted it.I get the tesco ones quite regularly though ,with the same layout so i will send you the email too look over as soon as i recieve the next one.
luca
12/10/2006 10:49am
Hi!

I would also like to have an option (or a command line argument) that let me start scribe minized ... and also it would be nice to have another option that let you "close to tray".