Thread

Index > Scribe > Scribe don't clear \Temp directory
Author/Date Scribe don't clear \Temp directory
ALL
24/04/2007 4:14pm
If I work with Scribe? every time I see all files (was attachement) in sys Temp directory.
After close Scribe - all this file stay in Temp and don't erased.

I think it is a promlem for portable application.

And What do you think about to make features for setting dir for Scribe temp-file storing.
fret
24/04/2007 10:01pm
Are you talking about .eml files?

Or about attachments that the user has openned?
ALL
25/04/2007 6:45pm
I am talking about attachments was opened, about files was attached to mail and send.

Sometimes sporadic Scribe loss sort-settings for messages (f.ex. Last Date is first or First date is first)
fret
02/05/2007 1:32am
Ok so for the situation where a user opens an attachment, at what point should Scribe delete that file?

What if the user edits it and wants to keep the changes?

It's not simple to know what the user expects, but I'm pretty sure that Scribe should not be responsible for an attachment that the user has opened. Maybe there should be an option to keep track of those type of files and delete them at some point (on shutdown?). But it should be off by default IMHO.
ALL
02/05/2007 3:56am
>Ok so for the situation where a user opens an attachment, at what point should Scribe delete that file?
>What if the user edits it and wants to keep the changes?
>It's not simple to know what the user expects, but I'm pretty sure that Scribe should not be responsible for an attachment that the user has opened. Maybe there should be an option to keep track of those type of files and delete them at some point (on shutdown?). But it should be off by default IMHO.

I think - all files must be deleted after close (shutdown) Scribe.
What directory is? - any directory, maybe sys Temp.
---
Some feature
I sent mail message. Mail message is in 'Sent' folder. All is OK.
I'd like send THIS mail again, or will send to another person.
I open this mail message (from 'sent' folder) make changes in mail message and send it.
Mail message was sent. All is OK.
In 'sent' folder I see one my last message (under changes). Why Scribe doesn't save my first (variant of) mail message(before my changes and re-sending)? I'd like - all my mail messages must be in 'sent' folder - and first(befor changes), and second(with changes).
If I send my mail message several times - Scribe stores last variant of mail message only. Why is it?

fret
02/05/2007 4:45am
I think - all files must be deleted after close (shutdown) Scribe.
What directory is? - any directory, maybe sys Temp.

I don't understand the "What directory is?" question...

I sent mail message. Mail message is in 'Sent' folder. All is OK.
I'd like send THIS mail again, or will send to another person.
I open this mail message (from 'sent' folder) make changes in mail message and send it.
Mail message was sent. All is OK.
In 'sent' folder I see one my last message (under changes). Why Scribe doesn't save my first (variant of) mail message(before my changes and re-sending)? I'd like - all my mail messages must be in 'sent' folder - and first(befor changes), and second(with changes).
If I send my mail message several times - Scribe stores last variant of mail message only. Why is it?

Because I havn't gotten around to fixing that yet. There are other more important things to fix, like SSL crashes/hangs, bad IMAP implementation etc.
ALL
03/05/2007 12:39pm
>I don't understand the "What directory is?" question...
Now all temporaries Scribe files are in sys 'Temp' directory.
This is not important: What directory does Scribe use for temp-files
This is very important: Scribe must delete all temp (attachments) file from Temp directory after closing.
[sorry for bad english]
Satsuki
08/05/2007 1:52pm
I understand waht ALL is saying. It's the responsability of the user to save each attached file to a folder where s/he wants to save that file, but if s/he opens an attachment (let's say a Word file) and save it, the default folder is the 'TEMP' file folder of your system (as most other programs do) AND all the attached files should be deleted. After all, it is a temporal folder and the user should already know that those files are there only for a short time.

It's safe to delete all the files Scribe saves in the system 'TEMP' folder, most users doesn't even know where this folder is (I thing it took me like an hour and a half to find mine because I have 3 folders named 'temp' for temporary files) and it doesn't have any use to keep this files.

Well, that's mine opinion. Take care :)
fret
09/05/2007 4:33am
I think what I'll do is write temp files out to $systemp$\Scribe and then on start and exit clear all the files in that folder. That way if Scribe crashes it'll clear it all on startup. Maybe I'll clear it again at midnight as well, because Scribe can be left open for a very long time.

Should I clear files while still running?
ALL
09/05/2007 4:41am
>(I thing it took me like an hour and a half to find mine because I have 3 folders named 'temp' for temporary files)and it doesn't have any use to keep this files.
:)

> all the attached files should be deleted

Yes, all files (created or placed or put by Scribe) in sys-Temp directory must be deleted (after closing Scribe).
All
09/05/2007 4:50am
fret
> That way if Scribe crashes it'll clear it all on startup.

Good way.

> Maybe I'll clear it again at midnight as well, because Scribe can be left open for a very long time.
> Should I clear files while still running?

as for me,
I don't left open Scribe for a very long time.
I think it'll clear $systemp$\Scribe after closing application.

Thanks.
Satsuki
11/05/2007 3:07pm
I think it'll clear $systemp$\Scribe after closing application.
I second that ;)
roblim
19/05/2007 1:59pm
I don't think that the temp files should be deleted while Scribe is running, but only on start and exit. I does happen that I start an email, and must leave it unfinished for many hours and I would not like to see my message dissapear at midnight. ;-)
Bill
16/11/2008 8:10pm
Noticed this. My 2 cents worth: It is a very important issue because these temp files, which could be confidential, are left in the TEMP folder even if the user does not "Save" them anywhere, but merely "views" them by choosing to open the attachment. It feels as thought the act of reading an attachment like a PDF places the file in an unexpected place on the computer when you think it is in the e-mail database.

I would suggest that the temp file location should have a default location but also should be able to be specified. I would place it in the same location as my e-mail database. That way the temp files if any stick with the database if moved, and can be protected in the same way. However I also agree that the temp files from scribe should be securely (or relatively securely) erased at least on client exit and periodically also. If the user wants to keep that attachment that was opened/viewed, then he or she should "Save As" to another location. It is also a problem who to handle it if the user still has the attachment being "viewed" in a viewer at the time scribe is closed. I would say that scribe should just notify the user that "Temporary attachment file working copies located in directory "whereever" could not be erased, probably because they are still open in another program. These should be manually erased if necessary. Open temprary directory? YES or NO"