Thread

Index > Scribe > connection issue v1.88final & Win7
Author/Date connection issue v1.88final & Win7
psuedocanuck
04/02/2011 12:07pm
Hello,
Am checking out this program after doing a lot of research on email clients: tired of Outlook: big and buggy.
Scribe is just what I need: lean, mean, and with all the features that a reasonable home user could use. It's not the easiest thing to sort through all the versions and plug-ins available. Am working on a couple of plug-in issues, neither of which is important. But I do have one major hurdle: getting connected (for receive only -- can send OK).

Here's what the handy dandy connection log reports on receiving:

Using 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Memecode Scribe\ssleay32.dll'
Using 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Memecode Scribe\libeay32.dll'
Connected to 'lavabit.com:143'
A0001 CAPABILITY
* OK lavabit.com IMAP4rev1 lavad server ready.
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ STARTTLS
A0001 OK Completed.
A0002 STARTTLS
A0002 OK Begin TLS negotiation now.
Session is now using SSL
/C=US/ST=Texas/L=Dallas/O=Lavabit LLC/CN=*.lavabit.com
A0003 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
A0003 BAD Command not recognized.
AFJNTTAxMjYxMUBsYXZhYml0LmNvbQBTaGF3aW5pZ2FuOTA1
AFJNTTAxMjYxMUBsYXZhYml0LmNvbQBTaGF3aW5pZ2FuOTA1 BAD Unable to parse the command.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what the problem is?
If I can get the free version to work, I am definitely forking over for the paid one. (I know people say similar all the time, but I'm a man of my word. It's not bribery, I just like the program, and if it works then it's only justice to pay for it).

Additional note: I am using Avast! anti-vi, which requires that SSL be turned off in the mail client. Avast takes over the SSL function itself without me having to change settings in Scribe. Like I said, send works, so my guess is that using Avast! is not the issue. In fact, I tested receive with Avast! disabled, and nothing changed in the log.

Thanks.
fret
04/02/2011 12:17pm
It looks like you are trying to use the built in SSL, if you have some other SSL being added by third party software then switch SSL off in Scribe.

And v1.88 is very old. I think you'll like the later v2.00 releases (beta26) is the most stable I know of.
pseudocanuck
05/02/2011 7:06am
Thanks Matthew.
I had actually started with v2b26. At the time, I was trying to set up IMAP for gmail, and that didn't work for reasons discussed on the forum.
Never had the intention of staying with gmail anyway, as I believe their unprivacy policy is criminal, but I thought it was a problem w/ that version versus Win7 64, and decided at the time to just go with what someone had already said works for them in Win7 64.
I will
1) Try disabling SSL in v1.88final just to see what happens.
2) If it works or doesn't work, will try out v2b26 again (this time connecting to my new ISP, not gmail) and see if that works.
3) Decide which to go with based on results, etc.
All the best.